Republic Services Fleet Maintenance Supervisor in Beaufort, South Carolina
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier
Our history dates back to the early 1990’s when Republic Waste Services was formed to consolidate a series of regional waste collection companies. The Company underwent a series of name changes and business transformations during the early to mid-90’s and began trading as Republic Services, Inc. (NYSE:RSG) on July 1, 1998. For the next 10 years, the Company experienced strong and dramatic growth and, in late 2008, Republic Services and Allied Waste Industries merged to create the current Company. Today, Republic Services is a Fortune 300 Company, operating across 39 states and Puerto Rico.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Fleet Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for supervising a maintenance shop that is under the umbrella responsibility of an on-site Maintenance Manager. The Fleet Maintenance Supervisor’s responsibilities include supervising a technician (mechanic) team responsible for preventive maintenance/repair of a fleet; machinery that supports a post-collection facility; repair/maintenance of equipment that services the container shop; and providing direction to technicians to ensure that all repairs/maintenance to equipment (trucks
diesel and alternate fuel, containers and other heavy duty equipment) are performed in compliance with Company safety and compliance standards, and with all federal and state regulations. The Fleet Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for planning and scheduling repair work for the work group to ensure that all work is done in a safe and timely manner, reducing lost productivity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office knowledge. • Root cause problem solving. • Effective communications skills. • Strong customer service orientation. • Organizational skills. • Ability to collaborate and encourage employee engagement.
• High school diploma or G.E.D. • Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification T3 Drive. • ASE T4 Brake. • ASE T5 Suspension and Steering. • ASE T6 Electrical/Electronic. • ASE T7 HVAC Systems. • ASE T2 Diesel Engine. • ASE T Master Certified. • Certified Automotive Fleet Management (CAFM) Financial Systems, CAFM Risk Management and CAFM Information Management or experience with/knowledge of similar technology. • Commercial Driver’s License.
• Provide direction to A, B and C level, and lead technicians assigned to work group to ensure that all repair and maintenance work is performed in a safe, efficient and timely manner. Oversee planning and scheduling of all repair work to increase productivity. Monitor operational performance and efficiency and take action to redirect activities appropriately. Report to management on performance; make recommendations for process/programmatic changes for improvement or efficiencies.
• Supervise technicians in maintenance shop, including such responsibilities as conducting daily shop huddles; fleet walks; coaching/counseling lead technician and all technician levels on performance/corrective action, when necessary; make hiring/termination decisions in concert with Human Resources and appropriate management; conduct employee training and performance evaluations; evaluate and make recommendations for merit increase, promotion and job changes, as appropriate.
• Perform inspections of outside repairs to ensure all work was properly completed in accordance with Company’s safety and compliance procedures and federal and state regulations; follow up where appropriate. Identify training opportunities and, as necessary, document issues and constructively discuss corrective action, as needed, with technician.
• Conduct Quality Control Inspections, track issues and resolution to ensure all work is properly completed in accordance with Company’s safety and compliance procedures and federal and state regulations.
• Oversee repair diagnostics on more complex matters and provide coaching, where necessary; may be required to road test vehicles to determine necessary repairs.
• Oversee maintenance shop inventory control system to ensure necessary equipment and parts levels are maintained and purchases are within budget. Review and approve expenses that are within scope of approval level; refer larger expenses or major repairs to manager as appropriate.
• Maintain advanced knowledge of engine, emission systems, transmission, brake, hydraulic and electrical systems to perform advanced preventive and repair maintenance functions on heavy equipment and vehicles used by Company, on site and on the road, including: o Engine chassis repair and maintenance; o Knowledge of vehicle body control systems, including hydraulics and electrical systems to maintain and repair vehicles in a timely and safe manner; o Knowledge of heating and air conditioning systems to effectively diagnose and repair complex heating and cooling systems in vehicles in a timely and safe manner; and o Knowledge of welding tools to fix heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner to ensure equipment is back in an operable condition as quickly and as safely as possible.
• Manage related administrative matters for team, including payroll, maintenance of employee records, records of all preventive and corrective maintenance performed, recording of all information into Dossier Maintenance Software, prepare and submit budget for approval, set departmental goals to align with targets and performance objectives established by division’s leadership. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in maintenance working with heavy equipment. • Minimum of 1 year of supervisory experience in a lead technician role, supervisor or other management role requiring a thorough knowledge of safe working practices, DOT, OSHA and other federal and state regulations.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.