Republic Services Technician Trainee in Elgin, Illinois
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through our facilities across 41 states and Puerto Rico. At Republic Services, we’re guided by five essential core values – to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R’s joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It’s what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
We employ approximately 33,000 full-time employees and work to create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops and retains people who assure our success with customers and differentiate us from our competitors. We want to be an employer of choice for top talent. Recent recognition includes being listed on Forbes Best Large Companies in America, Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies and Business Insider’s Most Meaningful Companies in America.
This is a learning opportunity for students currently enrolled in a diesel technician program that is designed to give the candidate on the job work experience while completing their technician education. With direct supervision from a Lead Technician, Maintenance Supervisor or Maintenance Manager, and through completion of the Republic Preventative Maintenance Program and other on-the job training work done during the the internship, the trainee receives hands on training that supports what they are learning in school. This includes the basic skills necessary to perform routine preventive maintenance, including basic tire work, wheel end components, mechanic skills, knowledge of hydraulics and knowledge of electrical systems. In addition, the intern gains knowledge of vehicle suspension and steering systems to perform routine maintenance and repair.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• Basic computer skills as demonstrated by knowledge of and ability to use MS Excel and word processing applications.
• Knowledge of basic hand tools.
• High School diploma or G.E.D.
• At least six months of prior experience as an automotive technician.
• Perform routine preventive maintenance under direct supervision, to include but not limited to: o Tire changes and replacements; o Tire rotations; o Hose replacements; o Light replacements; o Repair and replacement of small parts; and o Checking and filling fluids.
• Through course work and on-the-job training, the trainee gains an increasing level of knowledge of basic heavy duty Class 8 truck maintenance. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Currently or recently enrolled in a diesel mechanic/technician school. • Valid Driver’s License (required)
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.