Republic Services Fleet Maintenance Manager in Fairfield, California
About Republic Services
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through our facilities across 41 states and Puerto Rico. At Republic Services, we’re guided by five essential core values – to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R’s joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It’s what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
Why Work with Us
We employ approximately 33,000 full-time employees and work to create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops and retains people who assure our success with customers and differentiate us from our competitors. We want to be an employer of choice for top talent. Recent recognition includes being listed on Forbes Best Large Companies in America, Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies and Business Insider’s Most Meaningful Companies in America.
The Maintenance Manager is responsible for the management of fleet equipment at one or more locations and managing a team(s) of technicians (mechanics) who are responsible for the preventive maintenance and repair of a fleet of up to 60 vehicles (diesel and alternative fuel)., Additional responsibilities could include maintenance of equipment and machinery at a post collection facility(ies), and management of a container shop(s). The Maintenance Manager is responsible for providing direction, either directly or indirectly, to a group of technicians to ensure that all repairs and maintenance to Republic Services’ equipment, including trucks, containers and other heavy duty equipment, are performed in compliance with the Company’s safety and maintenance standards, and in compliance with all federal and state regulations. The Maintenance Manager is responsible for planning and scheduling the repair work for his or her work group to ensure that all work is done in a safe and timely manner, reducing lost productivity within the shop.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• Knowledge of basic computer skills and Microsoft Office
• Advanced Root Cause Problem Solving
• Effective and professional communications skills
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to anticipate business needs and plan accordingly to ensure that equipment, employee and fiscal resources are utilized in the most efficient manner
• High level of analytical skill to develop a range of possible solutions to address a wide range of issues
• Organizational skills
• Ability to collaborate and encourage employee engagement
• Good financial management and planning skills; ability to understand financial terms, budgets, tables and reports. Ability to develop realistic, comprehensive plans to make efficient use of resources.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• Associate’s Degree.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• ASE T2 Diesel Engine.
• ASE T Master Certified.
• Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification T3 Drive.
• ASE T4 Brake.
• ASE T5 Suspension and Steering.
• ASE T6 Electrical/Electronic.
• ASE T7 HVAC Systems.
• Certified Automotive Fleet Management (CAFM) Financial Systems, CAFM Risk Management, CAFM Information Management, CAFM Asset Management, CAFM Vehicle Fuel Management or experience with/knowledge of similar technology.
• Provide direction to all technician levels, as well as the lead technicians, in the maintenance shop and may manage a Site Maintenance Supervisor in a satellite maintenance shop or a Maintenance Shift Supervisor, assigned to his or her work group to ensure that all repair and maintenance work is performed is a safe, efficient and timely manner. Oversee the planning and scheduling of all repair work to increase productivity, while effectively managing the department’s overtime. Monitor the shop’s operational performance and efficiency and take action to redirect activities as appropriate. Report to management on shop performance, and implement procedures for process or programmatic changes for improvement for efficiencies.
• Manage lead technicians and maintenance supervisor(s) in the maintenance shop, to include such responsibilities as overseeing daily shop huddles; fleet walks; coaching and counseling lead technician and maintenance supervisor(s) on performance and corrective action, when necessary; make hiring and termination decisions, in concert with Human Resources and appropriate management; oversee employee training and performance evaluation; evaluate, recommend and approve supervisor recommendations for merit increase, promotion and job change recommendations, as appropriate.
• Maintain an on-going preventive maintenance program for assigned locations. Identify trends in road calls, break downs; oversee maintenance of the building and other facility on site; control maintenance costs relating to personnel, purchasing, inventory control and outsourcing of repairs.
• Manage outside repair facilities and repairs to ensure all work is properly completed in accordance with the Company’s safety and compliance procedures, and federal and state regulations; follow up where appropriate. Identify training opportunities and, as necessary, document issues and constructively discusses corrective action, as needed, with maintenance supervisor.
• Conduct Quality Control Inspections, track issues and issue resolution to ensure all works is properly completed and is in accordance with the Company’s safety and compliance procedures, and federal and state regulations.
• Maintain advanced knowledge of engine, emission systems, transmission, brake, hydraulic and electrical systems to manage advanced preventive and repair maintenance functions of heavy equipment and vehicles used by the company, on site and on the road, including: o Engine chassis repair and maintenance; o Knowledge of vehicle body control systems, including hydraulics and electrical systems to manage the maintenance and repair the vehicles in a timely and safe manner; o Knowledge of heating and air conditioning systems to manage diagnosis and repair of complex heating and cooling systems in the vehicles in a timely and safe manner; and o Knowledge of welding tools to fix heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner to ensure the equipment is back in an operable condition as quickly and as safely as possible.
• Manage related administrative matters for the team, including payroll, maintain employee records, maintain records of all preventive and corrective maintenance performed, ensure the appropriate recording of all information into Dossier Maintenance Software, prepare and submit the budget for approval, set departmental goals to align with the targets and performance objectives established by the division’s leadership team.
• May require local travel. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience as a Maintenance Supervisor in the transportation industry which requires a thorough knowledge and application of safe working practices including OSHA Haz Com, OSHA Lock Out Tag Out, OSHA Fire Safety and other federal and state regulations.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.