Republic Services Market Director, Government Affairs in Las Vegas, Nevada
About Republic Services
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here.TM, our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue PlanetTM for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Our history dates back to the early 1990’s when Republic Waste Services was formed to consolidate a series of regional waste collection companies. The Company underwent a series of name changes and business transformations during the early to mid-90’s and began trading as Republic Services, Inc. (NYSE:RSG) on July 1, 1998. For the next 10 years, the Company experienced strong and dramatic growth and, in late 2008, Republic Services and Allied Waste Industries merged to create the current Company. Today, Republic Services is a Fortune 300 Company, operating across 39 states and Puerto Rico.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Market Director, Government Affairs leads the state and local government and regulatory efforts for their designated Market with revenues exceeding $400m annually. The Market Director, Government Affairs will also provide leadership, support and expertise to the respective Market Vice President, Area President, General Manager(s), Business Development Director, VP of Government and Regulatory Affairs, Area Municipal Services Director, and all other applicable Municipal Services Managers. This shall include the development of relationships and public affairs strategies to improve our effectiveness on new or current municipal sales/retention opportunities as well as business development activities. This
individual shall ensure organization consistency and visibility with government decision makers across the designated Market. The Market Director, Government Affairs also ensures compliance with all political and lobbying activities and assists in maintaining the highest ethical standards through improved training, communications and cooperative efforts.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• Supports the Market Vice President, Area President, General Managers, Business Development and the Municipal Services teams and is responsible for the preparation and implementation of government and public affairs plans in the respective Market including:
o Measuring current conditions, identifying the targeted legislative and regulatory opportunities and creating strategies to convert these into law or regulations; and
o Assessing the external environment including financial conditions, competitors and political environment; testifying on behalf of the Company at various hearings and serving as the face of the Company at the legislature.
• Works closely with Area and Corporate leadership to determine strategic objectives for the Company in relation to legislation and regulations that are conducive to Company growth and profit improvement to include impacts on customer retention, environmental compliance, and business development activities.
• Works with and manages outside lobbying and /or consulting teams that are responsible for representing the Company during the legislative or regulatory development process to include reviewing issues, establishing positions and talking points that represent the Company goals and brand, while assessing effectiveness of the lobbying/consulting teams via tangible outcomes that produce a return on our investment. Helps transition political relationships to local teams throughout their efforts. Coordinates public affairs efforts with Corporate Communications team.
• Prepares and works with internal resources to prepare white papers or other tools to effectively manage major issue or legislative efforts.
• Develops and maintains positive community relations/image through involvement in civic and trade organizations, and calls on City Councils, Boards, County Supervisors and other key contacts in the market area.
• Helps drive new growth by analyzing trends in municipal and state budgets and providing effective feedback to Area & Market leadership.
• Effectively communicates Company objectives, goals, and plans; and relates concerns on legislation and regulations while maintaining relationships with government officials in the targeted market where business and market opportunities exist.
• Creates and maintains effective reporting systems, including communication to and with the Market Vice President and VP, Government and Regulatory Affairs as necessary. Safeguards confidential information.
• This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 80% of the time, to include participation at national and regional trade and political organizations that are important to the Company.
• Performs other job related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an
employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and
skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are
subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• A minimum ten years of professional related experience, including management experience in a large call center environment. (Required)
• Bachelor’s degree in History, Business, Marketing, Political Science or related field. (Required)
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in related government affairs, lobbying or public affairs activities. (Required)
• Minimum of 5 years of direct responsibility working the state legislative or regulatory process managing over 50 plus relevant bills during legislative sessions. (Required)
• Municipal and/or government relations or public affairs experience. (Required)
• Waste, transportation or service industry experience.
• Experience working on legislative or regulatory issues and processes for a governmental entity or private sector company.
• Experience in working with outside lobbying or consulting firms on projects or legislative efforts.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.