Republic Services Environmental Manager in New Boston, Michigan
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier
Our history dates back to the early 1990’s when Republic Waste Services was formed to consolidate a series of regional waste collection companies. The Company underwent a series of name changes and business transformations during the early to mid-90’s and began trading as Republic Services, Inc. (NYSE:RSG) on July 1, 1998. For the next 10 years, the Company experienced strong and dramatic growth and, in late 2008, Republic Services and Allied Waste Industries merged to create the current Company. Today, Republic Services is a Fortune 300 Company, operating across 39 states and Puerto Rico.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Environmental Manager is responsible for the preparation of the Landfill budget, managing all spending for the Engineering department, and overseeing consultants and contractors during site development. The Environmental Manager is also responsible for permitting and ensuring the Landfill remains in compliance with all applicable regulations during operation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of environmental regulations relating to air, water, solid waste, and material recovery/recycling.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Effective interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization and with external customers, vendors and government agency representatives.
• Strong project management skills.
• Strong analytical skills and a focus on adding value to the Company.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
• Certified Professional Engineer and/or Certified Professional Geologist designation.
• Manages construction projects for Landfill cells and sites, including capacity calculations, scheduling/timeline, management of third-party CQA and contractors, and resource and material coordination.
• Prepares Landfill construction and ongoing operational budgets.
• Maintain financial responsibility for construction/cell development, closure/post-closure, engineering, operations, and cost tracking.
• Coordinates completion of permit applications and designs, including regulatory interface, site expansion, modification or changes to the operating plan application, and other related data.
• Prepares notifications/responses to regulatory inspections, administrative warnings.
• Assists Landfill and Site Managers with development of fill sequencing plans.
• Participates in review of targeted acquisitions, including Phase I assessment/property survey coordination, engineering review of design and operations, and pro-forma modeling assistance.
• Performs ongoing public relations and due diligence activities through communication with corporate office, regulatory agency representatives, third party consultants and investors.
• Completes monthly soil tracking reports and other status reports.
• Regularly supervises Environmental Technicians and Specialists, including responsibility for hiring, training, mentoring, developing, scheduling, directing, managing performance and other related issues; review the work of, and is accountable for the performance of Environmental Technicians and Specialists.
• Attends regulatory and association sponsored informational and policy meetings.
• Ensures continued compliance by coordinating air, water monitoring, environmental data review and reporting.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Geology, Biology or related science.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.