Republic Services Environmental Technician in Pontiac, Illinois
About Republic Services
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here.TM, our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue PlanetTM for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Our history dates back to the early 1990’s when Republic Waste Services was formed to consolidate a series of regional waste collection companies. The Company underwent a series of name changes and business transformations during the early to mid-90’s and began trading as Republic Services, Inc. (NYSE:RSG) on July 1, 1998. For the next 10 years, the Company experienced strong and dramatic growth and, in late 2008, Republic Services and Allied Waste Industries merged to create the current Company. Today, Republic Services is a Fortune 300 Company, operating across 39 states and Puerto Rico.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Environmental Technician is responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of landfill gas extraction systems, leachate collections systems and other related systems at Republic Services’ landfills. The position is accountable for the ongoing monitoring of such systems, ensuring that all work adheres to safety regulations, as well as federal and state requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner. • Good communication skills; is able to effectively communicate operating issues to management. • Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise. • Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness. • Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Science.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience working at sites regulated by OSHA.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience working with landfill gas extraction and/or leachate systems.
• Conducts, or assists with, environmental sampling that may include ground water, surface water, air quality and gas migration. • Measures and records gas levels in landfill well fields and at probes in the landfill boundary to ensure the ongoing compliance with applicable safety regulations, as well as federal and state requirements. • Troubleshoots and corrects landfill gas extraction systems when necessary; report more complicated issues to management to ensure timely correction. • Manages and troubleshoots leachate system to ensure it continues to operate in accordance with safety standards, federal and state regulations. • Performs landfill surveying activities as required. • Prepares and submits required reporting data relative to landfill gas extraction, leachate and other related systems. • Performs all responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring adherence to all safety regulations that govern job performance; ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable federal and state requirements. • Performs other job-related duties as required. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High School diploma or GED.
• Minimum of 1 year of experience working at a site regulated by OSHA.
• Minimum of 1 year of experience working with landfill gas extraction and/or leachate systems.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.