Republic Services Senior Software Developer in Scottsdale, Arizona
About Republic Services
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through our facilities across 41 states and Puerto Rico. At Republic Services, we’re guided by five essential core values – to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R’s joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It’s what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
Why Work with Us
We employ approximately 33,000 full-time employees and work to create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops and retains people who assure our success with customers and differentiate us from our competitors. We want to be an employer of choice for top talent. Recent recognition includes being listed on Forbes Best Large Companies in America, Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies and Business Insider’s Most Meaningful Companies in America.
The Senior Software Developer serves as the development group’s lead technical resource and leads all phases of a system’s development life cycle. The Senior Software Developer will have an emphasis on analyzing complex business and technical problems to shape and deliver an entire system’s software components. The Senior Software Developer analyzes, configures, and tunes the underlying framework and infrastructure and is considered the subject matter expert on each system’s functionality, behavior and capabilities. The Senior Software Developer also enforces software development standards and mentors junior developers.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• Organizes the programming environment setup for each enterprise system under development.
• Oversees the source code directory layout and source code control configurations.
• Assists the Database Administration and the Systems Administration groups with the respective database and infrastructure system needs.
• Oversees and actively participates in each system’s source code modifications as specified by the technical and functional requirements.
• Ensures the source code is formatted and sufficiently documented per department standards.
• Oversees source code reviews performed during the development process.
• Coordinates the development test automation, unit testing, and debugging efforts for each system and its associated components.
• Oversees the regression and volume tests necessary to ready the components and entire systems for QA testing.
• Ensures that each enterprise system to be developed or enhanced is designed with the necessary performance, reliability, robustness, and extensibility, scalability, and security considerations.
• Serves as the lead technical resource for designing changes and enhancements.
• Designs each application’s infrastructure and underlying framework.
• Oversees the following: o technical design for multiple enterprise systems’ software components and component interfaces o design of each system’s interface needs and security elements o analysis and design for directory access needs o identification and documentation of database needs o research and analysis of potential integrations with existing internal and external systems
• Performs the final analysis and approval of the technical specifications prior to coding.
• Leads the development group’s technical contributions throughout the functional specification process, including: o conducting customer interviews to gather functional requirements o authoring use cases to model the associated business flows o contributing to epics, stories, and tasks for functional use cases to ensure success criteria are defined and met
• Leads technical research and analysis required by Product Owners, Development Managers, and other stakeholders during this phase of development.
• Leads development group’s support efforts through all aspects of QA testing.
• Ensures the appropriate test environments are installed and properly configured prior to system release.
• Oversees each system’s release procedures, including the necessary database and directory access requirements.
• Leads each system’s test script turnover and assists QA with their integration, stress, regression, and load testing efforts.
• Leads each system’s support efforts before, during, and after Production release.
• Prior to system release, ensures the Production environment is properly configured and initialized.
• Leads the staging and scripting of each system’s executable files and assists the Infrastructure staff with the Production environment’s respective database and directory updates.
• Monitors the system’s release to Production; provides operational assistance.
• Leads the effort to discover, analyze, and resolve production problems.
• Coordinates and approves all production fixes and system tunings.
• Leads the post-release audit to identify system performance enhancements and process and product improvements.
• Enforces software development standards for the Development team and provides training and mentoring on the following topics: o development environment setup o technical specification templates o source code composition, structure, and format o source code documentation o source code compilation and build practices o source code control setup and procedures o application infrastructure, interface, and framework usage o application security concerns and provisions
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related field, or combination of education and experience. (Required)
• A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in software development, information systems, or equivalent technical environment, including previous experience in leading the development of highly transactional, mission critical applications in environments/architectures for multi-user systems. (Required)
• Exceptional knowledge of all aspects of the software development lifecycle: design, functional and technical requirements, coding, debugging, testing, release, and operational support.
• Exceptional knowledge of agile software development methodologies, web development and object-oriented programming methodologies.
• Exceptional knowledge of software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Advanced proficiency with the following technologies:
o Object oriented programming
o SharePoint development and administration
o Service oriented designs and technologies (AJAX, XML/JSON)
o Web service protocols such as SOAP and REST
o Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment tools and methodologies
Web Development including but not limited to:
Software development tool kits
O365 SharePoint Online
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.