Republic Services Asst Div Controller Hauling in Sun Valley, California
Through our subsidiaries, we provide non-hazardous solid waste and recycling services for commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers. Our customers come first as we strive to safely and sustainably provide reliable service through our facilities across 41 states and Puerto Rico. At Republic Services, we’re guided by five essential core values – to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R’s joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It’s what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all.
Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG).
We employ approximately 33,000 full-time employees and work to create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops and retains people who assure our success with customers and differentiate us from our competitors. We want to be an employer of choice for top talent. Recent recognition includes being listed on Forbes Best Large Companies in America, Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies and Business Insider’s Most Meaningful Companies in America.
With limited direction and a thorough understanding of accounting principles, the Assistant Division Controller assists the Division Controller in managing the accounting workflow, providing accounting direction and analytical support to division management. This includes providing direction and acting as a resource to accounting and general administrative staff to ensure complete, accurate, and timely work.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilitites
• A thorough knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Sarbanes-Oxley 404, and compliance requirements of other financial statutes.
• The ability to professionally interact and communicate with the region, area and division leadership team as well as staff and customers to accomplish goals in an effective manner.
• Must be able to demonstrate initiative to thoughtfully research and follow up on non-standard situations to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Must be able to effectively coach, mentor and train others to meet performance expectations as described above.
• Must be able to work through others to accomplish goals and objectives.
• The ability to establish processes and procedures to ensure effective department workflow.
• The ability to track, measure and manage performance.
• Have MS Excel skills at an intermediate level.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal direction.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work in high-volume, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently within a team environment.
• Experience with Lawson accounting software.
• Advanced skill level with Excel.
• MBA and/or Certified Public Accounting (CPA) license.
• Supervisory or lead experience at a progressively responsible level.
• Performs complex accounting activities to record, analyze and monitor financial information.
• Responsible for monthly reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts.
• Prepares and reviews required supporting documentation and financial statements to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Company policies and procedures.
• Assists the Division Controller in the management of accounting personnel. Provides direction to the different accounting functional areas (invoice processing, billing, cash receipts, work order processing, credit analysis, receivable collections, month-end close, journal entries, statistical data, and payroll).
• Assists the Division Controller in the management of the accounting workflow across all division departments (sales, customer service, operations, HR, etc.). Ensures there are proper internal controls in place including compliance with Company policies and procedures, Sarbanes Oxley and all other statutory requirements.
• Ensures that all internal and external reporting deadlines are met.
• Assists the Division Controller with the training and development of accounting staff at the division. Provides direction and acts as a resource to accounting and general administrative staff to ensure complete, accurate, and timely completion of work.
• May provide accounting assistance and support to the corporate, regional and/or area leadership as necessary.
• Assists the Division Controller with accounting direction and analytical support for other departments in the division (general management, sales, operations, maintenance, customer service, etc.)
• Assists the Division Controller with pricing and profitability analysis, commercial and municipal bids, and any market development projects.
• Supports the Division Controller during the annual budget and interim forecasting process and assists with analytical review.
• Supports the accounting aspects of capital expenditures, transfers and retirements.
• Assists with periodic financial audits including internal audits, external audits and peer reviews.
• Provides support and responds to information requests from corporate (accounting, tax, treasury, IT, HR, sales, environmental compliance, legal, etc.) as well as region and area field financial management as required.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or closely related field of study.
• Minimum of 3 years related accounting or financial experience.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.