Republic Services Operations Supervisor - Transfer Station in Chicago, Illinois
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste disposal. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection operations, transfer stations, recycling processing centers, landfills and environmental services provide effective solutions to make recycling and waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers nationwide. Our 36,000 employees working in 41 states and Puerto Rico are committed to providing a superior customer experience while helping ensure a cleaner, safer and healthier world for future generations.
Why Work with Us
At Republic Services, we strive to create a workplace that is meaningful and rewarding at every level of our organization. Our employees thrive in an atmosphere where safety is revered, and each person can be a compassionate steward of our environment. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We’re proud to be recognized on Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies, Forbes World’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes Best Employers for Women, Forbes Best Large Employers and Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies lists. Republic is also the only company in our industry that is a certified Great Place to Work.
POSITION SUMMARY: Within a division, the Operations Supervisor – Transfer Station is responsible for supervising the operations activities within a segment of the transfer station. The Operations Supervisor oversees dispatchers, operations clerks, drivers and helpers, who are responsible for the route system and to maximize productivity while ensuring compliance with federal and state weight regulations. The Operations Supervisor works with the Operations Manager and General Manager to implement tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The Operations Supervisor ensures adherence to all accident prevention programs and leads operations to ensure compliance with all safety, environmental, operating, regulatory, accounting, ethics and other standards. Responsibilities include the execution and delivery of Safety, Customer Experience, and Efficiency while supporting a culture of employee engagement.
• Understand and provider leadership to achieve and communicate about safety goals and objectives.
• Work to remove unsafe conditions or situations from the transfer station.
• Partner with the maintenance department to ensure all equipment remains in working order and in compliance with safety standards.
• Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable actions are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program.
• Engage assigned employees in active participation to instill a culture of safety by demonstration of a personal commitment to safe operations and active personal outreach to operational employees.
• Provide service to all customers that meets or exceeds customer expectations with regard to the entire customer experience.
• Resolve unusual service requests, equipment breakdowns and schedule changes with timely communications to all stakeholders.
• Interact with customers to solve and rectify any issues and improve the overall customer experience.
• Serve as a positive representative of the Company to drive customer satisfaction and loyalty to the Company.
• Establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours and disposal expenses per established and agreed plans.
• Manages daily outbound throughput.
• Lead drivers to exceed productivity goals and expectations for all routes.
• Execute other operational plans to help achieve or exceed the division’s budgeted goals.
• Understand, support and execute service delivery while actively supporting maintenance and the operational role in fleet quality and maintenance.
• Create a collaborative, communicative team environment and drive employee engagement with the Company.
• Build and develop talent on the team, understand employees’ career goals and provide coaching to get employees ready for advancement with the Company.
• Perform other job related duties as needed or assigned.
• Minimum of 1 year of lead or supervisory experience.
• Participation in the Company’s management trainee program.
• Bachelor’s degree in a business related field.
• Experience in labor relations.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, relationship or association with a protected veteran (spouses or other family members), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We work for Earth. Every day, we come to work with two purposes in mind – serving our customers and doing our part to preserve our Blue Planet®. Our commitment to both has led to such things as landfill innovations, solar energy projects, community education designed to teach people to properly recycle, ongoing efforts to reduce our vehicle emissions and improving safety through technology—to name a few. To put it simply, we are 35,000 guardians of the environment, striving to make the world a better place.
Republic Services is more than a recycling and waste services company. We are a company dedicated to turning waste into possibilities. Together, united under the Republic Star, we are working for a cleaner, safer and healthier world where people thrive, not just for today, but for generations to come.