Republic Services General Manager - Hauling HC in Columbus, Ohio
Republic Services, Inc. is a leader in the U.S. environmental services industry. Through our subsidiaries, we provide superior customer experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet(r) for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Due to the nature of our industry, we make safety our top priority every day. We're dedicated to the safety of our employees, customers and the communities we serve.
Why Work with Us
We are guided by five essential core values - to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful and Relentless in all we do, every day. We are reminded of these principles every time we see the five R's joined together to form the Republic Star. It's what makes us who we are and sets us apart from the competition. We are dedicated to doing our part to preserve the environment by creating a cleaner, safer and healthier world where people thrive - not just for today, but for generations to come.
We hire the best people to make Republic Services a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to employees at all levels of the organization. Apply today and join our team!
The General Manager is responsible for leading one of the Company’s Business Units which includes full profit loss responsibility for all facets of the operation. Working in a matrix management environment, the position manages an infrastructure team comprised of division-level managers, including Operations, Fleet Management, Sales, Finance, Human Resources, Safety and Environmental Compliance, and Environmental Engineering, who support the total operation of the Business Unit. The General Manager executes a local market strategy that complements the Area’s overall strategic operating and marketing plans and implements tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The General Manager manages all matters related to collection and/or post-collections operations (transfer stations, landfills, recycling centers and/or complexes); represents the Company to customers, vendors and municipal customers and other external stakeholders; oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs and leads all operations to ensure compliance with standards; and drives change management initiatives to introduce and sustain new processes that contribute to the growth and durability of the Business Unit.
· Implements and executes plans to complement the Area’s strategic operating plan; champions the execution of the strategic plan and tactical initiatives within the Business Unit, including but not limited to operating safely, enhancing customer experience, improving efficiency and maximizing profitability.
· Works with Area and Region sales management to drive the commercial, industrial, residential and municipal sales efforts within the Business Unit to achieve targeted growth objectives, exceed customer experience expectations and optimize profitability.
· Oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensures a safe and productive work environment for all employees.
· Leads operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting and ethics.
· Manages performance and talent development..
· Builds and maintains strong and effective relations with relevant government, community and environmental groups.
· This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 30% of the time.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION:
· High school diploma or G.E.D.
· Minimum of 3 years of progressive leadership and management responsibility.
· Minimum of 3 years of P & L experience.
· Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Business.
· Master’s Degree.
· Previous experience in the environmental services industry.
· Previous employment by a Fortune 500 company.
· Experience in labor relations.
· Minimum of 7 years progressive leadership and management responsibility.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
· Demonstrated business acumen, strategic thinking and an ability to execute against formulated strategy.
· Ability to lead large scale change initiatives.
· Ability to direct large staff of functional experts to execute the corporate strategy.
· Ability to build strong sales teams; select best candidates, coach and develop the best talent.
· Process-oriented and results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
· Problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
· Ability to optimize near-term results that contribute to long-term sustainable success.
· Collaborative; builds and works with teams.
· Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
· Demonstrates and promotes ethical behavior.
· Ability to manage an extended span of control, with multiple sites and multiple business lines (e.g., hauling, landfills, recycling, new business).
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, relationship or association with a protected veteran (spouses or other family members), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We work for Earth. Every day, we come to work with two purposes in mind – serving our customers and doing our part to preserve our Blue Planet®. Our commitment to both has led to such things as landfill innovations, solar energy projects, community education designed to teach people to properly recycle, ongoing efforts to reduce our vehicle emissions and improving safety through technology—to name a few. To put it simply, we are 35,000 guardians of the environment, striving to make the world a better place.
Republic Services is more than a recycling and waste services company. We are a company dedicated to turning waste into possibilities. Together, united under the Republic Star, we are working for a cleaner, safer and healthier world where people thrive, not just for today, but for generations to come.