Republic Services Operations Supervisor - Zero Waste/City LA in Gardena, California
Republic Services, Inc. is a leader in the U.S. environmental services industry. Through our subsidiaries, we provide superior customer experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet(r) for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Due to the nature of our industry, we make safety our top priority every day. We're dedicated to the safety of our employees, customers and the communities we serve.
Why Work with Us
We are guided by five essential core values - to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful and Relentless in all we do, every day. We are reminded of these principles every time we see the five R's joined together to form the Republic Star. It's what makes us who we are and sets us apart from the competition. We are dedicated to doing our part to preserve the environment by creating a cleaner, safer and healthier world where people thrive - not just for today, but for generations to come.
We hire the best people to make Republic Services a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to employees at all levels of the organization. Apply today and join our team!
POSITION SUMMARY: The Zero Waste Operations Supervisor is responsible for supervising the collections activities in one or more lines of business in a geographically dense zone within the City of Los Angeles Franchise. The Zero Waste Operations Supervisor oversees drivers and helpers and works with the Operations Manager, Assistant Project Manager – City of L. A. and General Manager to implement tactical initiatives to drive operational excellence while achieving contract profitability. The Zero Waste Operations Supervisor ensures adherence to all accident prevention programs and leads to ensure compliance with all contract requirements, safety, environmental, operating, regulatory, accounting, ethics and other standards. Responsibilities include the execution and delivery of Safety, Customer Experience, and Efficiency while supporting a culture of employee engagement.
• Understands and provides leadership to achieve and communicate about safety goals and objectives.
• Works to remove unsafe conditions or situations from drivers’ routes.
• Works with the Zero Waste Representatives to identify/ eliminate unsafe conditions on new routes or for new customers.
• Partners with the maintenance department to ensure all equipment remains in working order and in compliance with safety standards.
• Oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable actions are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensures a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implements and maintains an effective loss control and safety program.
• Engages assigned employees in active participation to instill a culture of safety by demonstration of a personal commitment to safe operations and active personal outreach to operational employees
• Participates in the initial assessment and data collection to confirm service level.
• Provides service to all customers that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
• Assists with the successful implementation of the Zero Waste Program in his/her assigned zone.
• Conducts follow up visits to monitor and evaluate business-specific diversion program participation and provide additional support to non-compliant participants
• Understands missed pickup goals and meets or exceeds expectations related to those goals.
• Resolves unusual service requests, equipment breakdowns and schedule changes with timely communications to all stakeholders.
• Interacts with customers to solve and rectify any issues and improve the overall customer experience.
• Serves as a positive representative of the Company to drive customer satisfaction and loyalty to the Company.
• Actively seeks and engages in all revenue- generating opportunities.
• Establishes productivity goals where needed; ensures adherence to contract and operating standards; and manages labor hours and disposal expenses per established and agreed plans.
• Rides with drivers to gather data, such as travel times, disposal volumes, service and collection times and accuracy of route sheets in an effort to reduce cost, improve revenue and reduce hazards.
• Prepares detail reports of route audit findings; reviews all route audit data and recommends improvements.
• Creates, modifies and improves routes to maximize density and improve efficiency.
• Reduces route hours to the extent possible with techniques such as service conversions and container upsizing.
• Executes other operational plans to help achieve or exceed the division’s budgeted goals.
• Understands, supports and executes service delivery while actively supporting maintenance and the operational role in fleet quality and maintenance.
• Regularly meets with Operations Manager / Assistant Project Manager – City of Los Angeles / Zero Waste Sales Manager to review weekly progress versus goals and status of implementation of the Zero Waste Program.
• Collaborates with Zero Waste Representatives to support recycling programs as needed.
• Creates a collaborative, communicative team environment and drives employee engagement with the Company.
• Builds and develops talent on the team, understands employees’ career goals and provides coaching to get employees ready for advancement with the Company.
• Performs other job related duties as assigned or apparent.
• Participation in the Company’s leadership trainee program.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a business-related field.
• Experience in labor relations.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience in a customer-facing role, identifying and addressing customer needs.
• Valid driver’s license.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, relationship or association with a protected veteran (spouses or other family members), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.