Republic Services Area Mgr Collection Operations in Houston, Texas
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Area Manager, Hauling primarily focuses on building operations expertise and improving operations performance in all of the collection/hauling Divisions within the Area. The Area Manager, Hauling educates and works with field operations to ensure execution and durability of standards and processes and plays an essential role in building the capability of the field teams to consistently execute on business plans and budgets, ensuring an optimal customer experience for the Company’s customers.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• An in-depth knowledge and understanding of hauling and collections operations management (for collection, including the ability identify issues, weigh options and provide effective counsel to support sound business decisions).
• Ability to professionally interact with employees at all levels and influence others to gain support for ideas, proposals, projects and solutions as well as effectively accomplish goals.
• Ability to build and foster collaborative relationships by developing, maintaining and strengthening partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance and support.
• Strong management, presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to persuade and negotiate with others and project a professional image.
• Ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
• Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and translate this into results.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills to identify and prioritize critical project issues, lead data gathering and analysis and translate analysis into clear recommendations.
• Excellent communication skills including the ability to carefully listen, absorb input and feedback, and then respond appropriately to increase buy-in and commitment.
• Ability and skill to lead major projects and maintain the momentum of project plans as described.
• Ability to advise and coach frontline and site managers.
• Ability to initiate and effectively manage projects, including the ability to facilitate obstacle removal and progress toward goals.
• Bachelor’s degree with focus in Business, Finance or related field. • Prior exposure to, and experience with, post collection activities including transfer station, landfill and recycling processing business. • Prior experience in a lead role with responsibility for the implementation and successful performance of business plans, strategic projects or initiatives, including the development and adherence to project plans and budgets. • Minimum of 3 years of experience managing collection/hauling operations. • Minimum of 2 years in a supervisory or management role within Republic Services.
• Provides expertise, analysis, input, information and actions to improve operations performance (not day-to-day supervision) and is focused on operations activities and processes for all collection lines of business (commercial, industrial, residential and portable services). • Directly manages the Blue Crew process including providing direct management support to local management teams in the event of work stoppages or strikes. • Actively champions and gives clear participatory support to all Republic Safety programs and Safe Operating practices at all times. Works closely with the Safety department to support Company safety initiatives, and ensure compliance with Hours of Service and Overweight regulations. • Listens, evaluates, and counsels Supervisors, Operations Managers, and General Managers in setting priorities and goals in order to optimize their operations. • Assists with the development and education of operations talent, in particular Operations Managers (works with management to hire, train, and mentor operations management and staff). • Assists in the creation, development and implementation of the Company operations strategy and other Company-wide initiatives. • Collaborates on, aids establishment of and supports compliance with Company standards and Best Management Operating procedures and processes. • Collaborates with local site leadership to identify issues, lead root cause analysis and develop remedial action plans. Provides targeted expertise to lead on-site activities to address cultural, process or operational challenges. • This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 70% of the time. • Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in the waste industry or related industry that included significant exposure to collection activities. • Minimum of 2 years in a supervisory or management role.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.