Republic Services Financial Analyst Environmental Accounting in Phoenix, Arizona
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Financial Analyst, Environmental is primarily responsible for managing the Engineering and Environmental Management department financials, helping to administer the multiple department dashboards, and assisting leadership with the day-to-day management of the Company’s environmental sites. The Financial Analyst, Environmental provides direct financial support to the Engineering and Environmental Management department.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Strong systems skills including Excel, Visual Basic, general ledger, reporting tools, and database skills.
• Strong business and financial acumen.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Ability to analyze and interpret complex problems.
• Strong technical and analytical skills.
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills for all constituents from staff to executive management.
• Strong understanding of accounting principles (GAAP) and the relationship between the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement.
• Must be versatile, capable and willing to assist other departments effectively when required.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
• Minimum of 3 years of combined public accounting experience at a Big 4 or Tier II National firm.
• MBA or other graduate degree.
• Waste or transportation industry experience.
• Experience with Lawson accounting software.
• Experience using Hyperion Essbase.
• Manages, with the help of leadership, the financials for the Engineering and Environmental Management department including: budgeting, opening PO's, processing payments, reviewing financials and forecasting
• Prepares monthly journal entries and performs monthly reconciliations.
• Creates, generates and reviews reports used in the Company’s monthly close (generally using Essbase, Lawson and Excel).
• Maintains and modifies multiple department dashboards: o Works with the department to upload company-wide statistics into the general ledger. o Creates/updates various spreadsheets and data pulls to support the dashboards. o Ensures the dashboard is updated properly and makes changes to the dashboard, when deemed necessary.
• Processes invoices for our environmental sites and approves account coding.
• Involved in forecasting capital, closure, post-closure and environmental expenditures for the Company.
• Processes invoices for the environmental sites and approves account coding.
• Creates and updates spreadsheets and provides analytical support, where needed, to the department.
• Acts as a liaison between field engineers and various corporate departments.
• Assists in the corporate budgeting process for landfill and environmental sites.
• Analyzes landfill and environmental budget models and communicates factors that cause such adjustments to the appropriate parties.
• Responds to requests from various corporate departments for landfill and environmental related information.
• Prepares and presents financial information to senior level management on matters related to landfill and environmental accounting.
• Provides financial analysis and helps support ongoing operational initiatives.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the company.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or related field.
• Minimum of 2 years of combined financial analysis and public or corporate accounting experience.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.