Republic Services GIS Technician in Phoenix, Arizona
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician focuses primarily on fulfilling field and corporate-wide requests for mapping, data and cartographic products through the utilization of GIS software and other resources. The GIS Technician must create, organize and analyze the data to be displayed on applicable maps and disseminate an accurate map or cartographic product to the field. The GIS Technician supports the management team and the GIS analysts in the Operations Support department in their efforts to increase routing efficiencies, revenue and profit opportunities as well as to report upon historical performance.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Contributes to desktop audits of existing contract work and provides data and mapping support for the Desktop Marketing Program. • Creates and maintains data files and maps used for market area development, service area boundaries and market analysis purposes. • Maintains data used to create and update Area and Division maps. • Supports routing efforts throughout the Company and the needs of corporate and field users of routing technology and data. • Performs data cleansing and restructuring to manage the linkage of information and data portability • Performs quality control checks of GIS data to ensure data integrity. • Collects data through interaction with municipal and 3rd party vendors. • Performs other duties as assigned or required. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor’s degree in, Geography/GIS, Urban Planning, or related field.
• Minimum of 1 year of work experience performing mapping/cartography, or 2 years equivalent academic experience. (Required).
• 2 years of GIS work experience.
• Ability to create, manage, and convert geo-databases and coverages into other formats.
• Ability to perform spatial analysis through basic SQL and spatial queries.
• Ability to perform quality control checks of GIS data
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel as demonstrated by the ability to write formulas, build macros, enter data and open/import data in various formats.
• Ability to use Geographic Information Systems and applications including but not limited to ArcMap and applicable ESRI extensions, MapInfo, Google Earth,
• Ability to use MS Office including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to import data, write simple queries, and develop reports and forms.
• Ability to manage projects from planning to completion.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and communicate ideas and issues clearly.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.