Republic Services Manager External Reporting in Phoenix, Arizona
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Manager, External Reporting primarily manages and performs activities related to all external reporting, annual external audit, SEC filings, statutory filings and other external financial reporting requirements. The Manager, External Reporting also performs technical accounting research; handles technical matters of accounting, including but not limited to environmental, landfill and closure post closure; provides system and accounting support related to all aspects of the External Reporting department’s activities; and interacts frequently with the Chief Accounting Officer, the Market Planning & Development team, Corporate department heads and field controllership.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Strong business & financial acumen.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a team of strong accounting and finance professionals.
• Advanced knowledge and experience in the application and audit of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), SEC financial reporting and applicable regulations.
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Outstanding technical and analytical skills.
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills for all levels of the Company, from staff and field personnel to executive management.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Broad understanding of business dynamics including systems, personnel and business drivers.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
• Minimum of 6 years of public (Big 4 or Tier II National) accounting experience.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
• Minimum of 1 year of experience in leading an External Reporting function that involves SEC disclosure and reporting, reconciliation and accounting research.
• Prior experience working with Lawson and Essbase or similar general ledger systems, reporting tools and database tools.
• Manages and prepares reports that include financial statements, footnotes and other financial information filed with, or furnished to, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) such as 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements, registration statements and annual reports; maintains related documentation; and reviews and maintains XBRL tagging and related support files.
• Oversees the accounting, documentation and disclosure of the Company's acquisitions and divestitures, including coordination with the Market Planning & Development team, field controllership, internal and external legal counsel, and external specialists; reviews purchase agreements, pro-forma models and intangible valuations.
• Assists with complex accounting areas by reviewing statement of cash flows, landfill models, environmental models, goodwill / intangible asset analyses, stock-based compensation and segment analyses.
• Acts as a liaison between subsidiary controllers and Corporate accounting staff to ensure all accounting and reporting requirements are met, including review and analysis of monthly financial results.
• Assists with maintaining Company processes and procedures related to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX).
• Coordinates activities of external auditors and acts as a liaison with Corporate departments in obtaining information required by external auditors.
• Assists in quarterly review and annual external audit of the Company’s financial statements as it relates to landfills, environmental reserves, legal reserves, acquisitions and divestitures.
• Reviews audited financial statements for certain subsidiary audits.
• Monitors current developments related to accounting standard setting bodies and remains current on technical accounting literature to identify/assess possible changes to accounting policies and practices. Examples include SEC, FASB, PCAOB, Technical Bulletins and other accounting policy and practice pronouncements.
• Researches, interprets and provides accounting guidance and support based on adopted interpretations and maintains related documentation, including adoption of revenue recognition standard.
• Maintains and updates, as applicable, the Company’s accounting policy manuals.
• Provides training and accounting guidance to field controllers and other Corporate departments relating to matters involving landfills, environmental issues, acquisitions, divestitures and legal reserves.
• Reviews reconciliations, roll forward and other schedules prepared by staff and other departments that support Company’s financial filings.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field. • Minimum of 5 years of combined public (Big 4 or Tier II National) accounting experience or public company SEC reporting experience.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.