Republic Services Paralegal (Records) in Phoenix, Arizona
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Paralegal (Records) handles the Company’s responses to third-party subpoenas and information requests and the distribution of legal process served on the Company. This position also provides records and file management support to the Legal Department.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Responses to Subpoenas and Requests for Information: Coordinates responses to third-party subpoenas and requests for information served on the Company and its subsidiaries, which includes determining whether service of process is proper, coordinating with corporate departments and field offices to obtain requested documentation, tracking and reporting, maintaining calendar of response dates, reviewing documentation for responsiveness, redacting privileged and confidential information, providing responsive documents to requesting party, and communicating and corresponding with requesting law firms and third-party service providers. Works independently and ensures compliance with third-party subpoenas and requests, with assistance from Senior Paralegals and/or Counsel as needed.
• Records and File Management: Retrieves and arranges offsite file delivery as requested. Maintains organized internal central file room and ensures that all legal files are stored in the file room when not in use and added to offsite storage when appropriate. Manages the electronic library of Company real estate documents and ensures documents are uploaded timely and in a consistent manner.
• Handles internal and external inquiries and proficiently manages communication, exercising discretion regarding confidential and sensitive information. Researches real property record requests within internal and external sources and obtains copies of such documents.
• Processes system updates to reflect new real property asset acquisitions and dispositions to ensure a current and accurate real property database. Conducts updates of key real property data fields and tracks data metrics to enable efficient and accurate reporting.
• Communicates effectively and diplomatically with all levels of management and staff as well as outside counsel.
• Maintains confidentiality and privacy of all legal files.
• Provides exemplary customer service to all queries regarding legal records.
• Adheres to all records management business processes as established by Company policy.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience as a paralegal (required).
• Experience using Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word (required).
• Associate’s degree or paralegal certification.
• Excellent skills in organization and detail-orientation.
• Proven ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
• Proven ability to take initiative and work independently with high level of independent motivation.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Collaborative, cross-functional professional.
• Excellent judgment.
• High degree of integrity.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.