Republic Services Container Shop Supervisor in Plano, Texas
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
Under the general direction of a General Manager or a Maintenance Manager, a Container Shop Supervisor is responsible for supervising two or more employees who repair of various sizes of containers and compactors to ensure that repairs or replacements meet company standards. This role may act as manager-on-duty in the absence of other managerial personnel.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of OSHA compliance components impact container shop operations, state departments of environmental quality, vector control programs and ANSI.
• Effective communication skills to provide necessary information in a timely and accurate manner.
• A customer service orientation and the ability to foster that mentality with the team.
• Ability to act with as well as promote ethical behavior.
• Ability to anticipate business needs and plan accordingly to ensure that containers, equipment, employee resources and fiscal resources are utilized in the most efficient manner as detailed above
• Organizational skills to maintain records regarding the status of equipment, personnel, schedules, and problems.
• Ability to collaborate and encourage employee engagement to achieve productivity goals.
• Thorough knowledge of safe working practices and the ability to promote and enforce safety rules and procedures
• Ability to effectively supervise others as described above, including the ability to set clear and challenging goals for the container maintenance team and address performance issues as needed.
• Skill and ability to foster positive working relationships with employees.
• Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License without airbrake restriction and any applicable endorsements.
• A welding certification or demonstrated ability / experience.
• Supervises employees who perform container shop activities, including responsibility for or recommends hiring decisions, trains and evaluates employees; coaches, counsels and manages performance; and makes or recommends salary, merit, promotion or other pay changes.
• Organizes and schedules work based historical and anticipated needs. Develops work schedules and grant time off as appropriate to match staffing level requirements for the maintenance shop.
• Reviews work orders and assigns tasks to container shop employees. Verifies the quality of work performed. Where appropriate, coaches welders and other staff on welding, repairing and painting techniques and procedures and take corrective action, as warranted, to manage performance as appropriate.
• Oversees administrative matters for the team including substantiating payroll, maintains records of all production, manufacturing and repairs performed, prepares and submits the budget for approval and sets department goals as aligned with targets/goals established by the division’s leadership team.
• Conducts and / or participate in regular facility audits.
• Maintains open communications with other departments in the division, including Accounting, Procurement and Operations, to ensure fluid and effective operations.
• May interact with customers to address customer issues with respect to compactor equipment to work towards effective and timely resolution.
• Inspect containers, equipment and container shop activities to verify the quality of work performed to ensure safety and productivity procedures are followed. Identifies training opportunities and documents issues; provides constructive feedback to improve the quality of work.
• Anticipates needs for shop supplies, materials and parts essential for production and repair activities. Procures equipment and parts within shop budgets and assigned spending limits that are necessary to operate the shop. May refer larger purchases or major repairs to a manager as appropriate.
• Monitors and controls the container shop’s operational performance; takes action to redirect activities as appropriate. Reports on the department’s performance for the division leadership’s review, making recommendations where opportunities for improvement exist.
• May serve as first level supervisor in employee internal dispute resolution process.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• A high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Minimum of 2 years of hands on welding and fabrication shop experience.
• Minimum of 1 year of supervisory or progressively responsible experience in a lead role.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.