Republic Services Area Mgr Post Collection Ops in San Pablo, California
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Area Manager, Post Collection provides leadership, oversight and coordination to the Company’s landfill and transfer station operations, goals and major initiatives. This role also evaluates and makes effective recommendations to obtain the desired Company-wide operational results as related to the post collection/landfill-transfer station efforts and initiatives. The Area Manager, Post Collection leads continuous improvement initiatives and evaluations for existing and new facilities. These continuous improvement efforts include working collaboratively with other stakeholders; developing, documenting and implementing Standard Operating Practices; disseminating and implementing “Best in Class” operating practices; overseeing permit /regulatory compliance; supporting internal audit activities; providing guidance and support to field operations to facilitate equipment/staffing “right sizing”; and creating and implementing all required safety, maintenance and operational plans.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to professionally interact with and influence others to gain support for ideas, proposals, projects and solutions as well as effectively accomplish goals. • Ability to build and foster collaborative relationships by developing, maintaining, and strengthening partnerships with others inside or outside the Company who can provide information, assistance and support. • Excellent negotiating, leadership, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to influence a broad range of front line and senior leaders. Ability to confidently challenge leaders at all levels while projecting a collaborative and professional style. • Ability to demonstrate initiative to thoughtfully research and address non-standard situations to ensure compliance with Company policies and procedures. • Ability to manage performance by taking responsibility for one’s own or one’s employees’ performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly. • Ability to establish focus through the development and communication of goals in support of the organization’s mission. • Ability to champion and manage change by demonstrating support for innovation needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring and implementing organizational change; and helping others to successfully manage organizational change. • Ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies. • Ability to establish processes and procedures to ensure effective department workflow. • Strong analytical skills and the ability to address issues using a logical, systematic, sequential approach. • An understanding of operational functions and related needs and requirements and the ability identify issues, weigh options and provide effective counsel to support sound business decisions. • Ability to define processes to enhance operational capability and develop tools and systems for equipment operations and business management.
• Minimum of 5 years progressive responsibility in the waste or excavation / civil construction industry that includes management and oversight for operations and P&L. • Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or a similar business-related field. • Master’s degree in Business, Engineering or a similar business- related field.
• Oversees, manages and mentors landfill and transfer station management teams at the division level. This includes hiring, on boarding, developing, coaching and managing performance. • Leads cross-functional strategic teams in gathering, analyzing and evaluating operational and financial data. • Performs root cause analysis to facilitate problem solving and continuous improvement. • Develops staffing profiles and staffing/scheduling models. • Develops tools, analytics and Key Performance Measures (KPM) to facilitate efficient landfill operations including equipment complement and utilization. Leads and participates in strategic line of business efforts including planning, facility commissioning, goal setting, evaluation and presentation of results. • Leads and participates in strategic line of business team including planning, facility commissioning, goal setting, evaluation and presentation of results. • Trains and mentors site leadership teams to ensure their success and builds post collection management bench strength. • Provides analysis to recognize favorable / unfavorable trends and opportunities to reduce operating costs across the Company providing guidance and counsel to field leadership. • Analyzes monthly, quarterly and year over year (YOY) cost, margin and volume trends. • Makes recommendations on strategies to improve performance. Monitors field performance and provides guidance and support to influence change where appropriate when performance is not aligned with targets. • Conducts site visits to evaluate best practices and identify opportunity for improvement, and makes recommendations based on findings. • Participates and collaborates with cross-functional leadership to develop and deliver effective training, communication and documentation for operational effectiveness. • Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Minimum of 2 years progressive responsibility in the waste or manufacturing industry that includes management and oversight for operations.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.