Republic Services Enterprise Data Internship - Summer 2019 in Scottsdale, Arizona
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
Republic Services’ internship program is designed to provide an opportunity to learn about our Company and various aspects of our industry and business. The Intern will gain valuable business experience by holding a position within a functional area (department) and by executing a project or series of tasks that improves or is related the function related to their courses of study or desired career paths. For example, the Intern will be responsible for completing specific tasks such as analyzing functional processes, identifying opportunities for improvement or growth, gathering and analyzing data, investigating and helping to resolve any data discrepancies, and/or preparing communications. The Intern will interact with various functional leaders to develop new skills and learn about the solid waste and environmental services industry. The Intern is supported throughout the internship by a mentor/coach who is not the direct supervisor. An experience review takes place for all internships during which the Intern presents the outcome of his/her project/tasks to leadership.
The intern will be responsible for the PROJECT highlighted below:
- Documenting and assessing collection/management /use of data on waste collection and operations
a) How data on waste is physically recorded
b) What kind of data is measured and in what form
c) How frequently is data on waste collected
d) Where the data is stored and how it can be accessed
e) How data is currently used to influence operational activity
f) State of data collection and aggregation
Predictive Analytics - Identify Trends in and make predictions about waste production, develop metrics on waste habits of communities.
Develop data quality metrics and dashboards for key data assets
Customer 360/sentiment analysis
a) Map major customer touch-points (i.e. marketing channels)
b) Identify types of data available, and collection mechanisms
c) Audio/Text analytics to understand sentiment/classification/tone/mood etc. as predictors of business events
- Develop neighborhood waste metrics/report - residents in strategic areas of the city and featured color maps. Neighborhood rankings and other insights on recycling.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to write, create and assemble reports and correspondence.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Ability to work with multiple departments to help achieve goals and objectives.
• An interest in a career within the waste and environmental services industry.
• Ability to accept delegated responsibilities and follow through to completion.
• Active pursuit of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree.
• Current grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
• Performs assigned tasks in various functional areas to learn about the solid waste and environmental services industry and business operations.
• Analyzes data and/or potential issues and makes recommendations for potential solutions to management.
• Contributes to departmental goals and identifies improvement growth opportunities while participating in activities in functional areas such as Operations, Finance, Accounting, Maintenance, Sales or Administration.
• Performs analysis of data, information and research.
• Identifies and communicates potential issues related to assigned work.
• Executes and completes specific tasks and project deliverables identified by functional managers within the timeframe of the internship program. Creates documents and correspondence pertaining to project deliverables.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.