Republic Services Lead Operator in Sulphur, Kentucky
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Lead Operator is responsible for the safe operation of machinery and equipment at a recycling facility, landfill or transfer station. The position is accountable for coordinating the daily activities of Heavy Equipment Operators or Stationary Equipment Operators, ensuring that all work and processes adhere to safety regulations, as well as federal and state requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned own responsibilities and those of staff are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
• Good communication skills; is able to effectively communicate operating issues to management; is a team player and able to motivate staff.
• Good follow through ability; ability to adhere to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
• Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
• Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals and motivates the team to do the same.
• One year prior supervisory or lead operator experience working at sites regulated by OSHA.
• Inspect all required equipment at the start of shift, and at each start-up that occurs during the shift. Record all required data in a complete and accurate manner on daily inspection forms. Complete Equipment Condition Report and report any necessary repairs to supervisor and/or maintenance shop.
• Safely and efficiently operate equipment that may include: forklift, scraper, motor grader, sweeper, baler, excavator, bulldozer, front-end loader and other recycling facility, landfill or transfer station equipment.
• Continuously monitor equipment to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize down-time; perform basic troubleshooting, if necessary, and report more complicated mechanical issues to maintenance staff to ensure equipment is repaired in most efficient manner possible.
• Review daily production schedules to accurately estimate hour requirements for completion of job assignments of heavy or stationary equipment operators; establish work procedures to meet production schedules, making adjustments in work procedures as necessary to ensure production schedules can be adhered to.
• Recommend measures to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality. Suggest changes for equipment use, work space and other enhancements to increase efficiency of shop, department and work crew.
• Direct employees in completion of work; may interpret Company policies, instructions, specifications, blueprints or job orders for employee understanding; assign duties and work to employees; confer with supervisor or manager to coordinate activities of individual departments or shifts; train or assist in training of new employees.
• Ensure that shop is clean, serviced and stored at the completion of each shift.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Three years’ prior related experience in equipment operation.
• Valid certificate(s) of training and applicable licenses for operation of equipment, as required.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.